Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How I met Corey.

I feel as thought all I do is pour out my sob stories and complain about my life (OMG, I’m starting to sound like my Grandmother, eek!!!). So in effort to put something cheerful down, I thought I’d start today. Granted I’m in a foul-ass-mood today thanks to my wonderful boss and job… So, here’s an attempt at making my day feel a little less crappy and a little more cheerful!

How I met Corey, my fiance (tee hee hee, It's still weird calling him my fiance).

This is a cute story, I think. Most people think it is too. Corey and I met in college. We had a class or 2 together before we really met, so we kind of knew each other through association but neither of us really talked to each other. December 2001, there was a school field trip for credit going to Hawaii (yes, the actual Big Island of Hawaii). We had both signed up to go, along with some other people, some from our major, some not. I didn’t really know anyone on this trip. I had just really started into my major and knew only 1 or 2 people. I figured it’s Hawaii, I’m going to have a great time regardless of who I know.

Well yes indeed, I had a wonderful time. It was my first and only trip (so far) to Hawaii. We traveled to the Big Island to play, hike, swim, and make lava spoons (those were a complete failure. I never would have imagined that lava doesn’t like to stick to your mother’s metal spoons. Who would have guessed?) Partway through the trip, the teachers had planned a few days of pure fun. Where we could go play on the beach, go swimming, sun bathe and all around screw off. The rest of our trip was full of hikes and extremely interesting geological sites, like old lava tubes, the green sand beach, fire hoses, surface lava flows. You name it, we probably saw it. So mid-way through the trip, the teachers took us to Kona and Hapuna Beach for 2 days. We body surfed in Hapuna Beach, and shopped and snorkeled in Kona. It was fantastic.

In Hapuna Beach, we stayed at the Hapuna Beach State park A-Frames (http://www.cabinweb.com/menu/hawaii/hawaiipics/hihapuna1.htm). They were a little special looking, but did the job. There was enough room for about 4 people to share an A-Frame, more if someone wanted to sleep on the floor. So (besides the addition 2 sleepers, we unfortunately inherited) Kim (our mutual friend), Corey, and I shared a cabin. The first night we were there, our entire group went out for margarita’s and Mexican food and then we spent most of the evening wondering the beach by moonlight. It was gorgeous. The 2nd day, we spent body surfing and relaxing. That evening was the evening Corey and I really met. Kim and I had purchased a bottle of rum in the exchange at the Kilauea Military Camp (where we had been staying for the majority of our trip) before we’d left for Hapuna Beach. That 2nd night, Kim, Corey and I mixed some Rum and Cokes to enjoy. We mixed Corey some rum and rum, with a hint of coke. He’s the one who asked for it!!! Needless to say, Kim and I got Corey a little tipsy. When Corey get’s tipsy, he gets chatty. That was the night we both really got to know him.

After Hawaii, began the Thursday night bar nights (with a small portion of our Hawaii group), where we’d go out and bar hop (yes we always had a dd), play some pool, and end up back at Corey’s place to watch moves. And well, the rest is sort of history.

We had our first date on April 14th, 2002. Corey made me chicken parmesan and potatoes au gratin. I got the stomach flu for the rest of the week afterwards (it was just bad timing) but he did bring me orange tulips when I was sick. Automatic keeper!!!

And that’s the story of how Corey and I met!

2 comments:

Hillary (Mrs. Einstein) said...

Very cute! Does he bring you tulips anymore?

So, are you going to share your engagement story next? I still want to see your ring.

Fabulously un Fabulous said...

Nope, he spoils me with roses now and then! I'll share my engagement story next. I'm still trying to get out of my grouchy mood. I'll get some pictures out to you sometime (hopefully soon) of the final setting. I think it's perdyfull.